Re: GUCs that need restart

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, PGSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GUCs that need restart
Date: 2010-05-17 21:20:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jim Nasby wrote:
> For archive_mode you should check the archives; where was discussion on exactly why we can only enable archiving on restart. That GUC was added specifically so that archive_command didn't require a restart

I linked the most relevant bits from the archives into
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/ClusterFeatures#Start.2Fstop_archiving_at_runtime

This item was pretty high up on the last round of hacker polling at the
clustering meeting that list came out of. But since it's strictly
convenient rather than a new feature, it's hard to justify working on,
given the fixed pool of people who feel comfortable working on this code.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us