Re: Archiver not picking up changes to archive_command

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: bricklen <bricklen(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Archiver not picking up changes to archive_command
Date: 2010-05-11 01:12:00
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> A look at the code shows that the archiver only notices SIGHUP once
> per outer loop, so the change would only take effect once you catch up,
> which is not going to help much in this case. Possibly we should change
> it to check for SIGHUP after each archive_command execution.

I never considered this a really important issue to sort out because I
tell everybody it's unwise to put something complicated directly into
archive_command. Much better to call a script that gets passed %f/%p,
then let that script do all the work; don't even have to touch the
server config if you need to fix something then. The lack of error
checking that you get when just writing some shell commands directly in
the archive_command itself horrifies me in a production environment.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us