Re: On a somewhat disappointing correspondence

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: On a somewhat disappointing correspondence
Date: 2010-05-06 02:03:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> We are not very good at _removing_ functionality/GUCs, and based on the
> discussion so far, I think there is a very slim chance we would get it
> right for 9.0, which is why I suggested converting it to a boolean and
> revisiting this for 9.1.

There's some feedback you can only get by exposing a complicated feature
to the users and seeing what they make of it. This one hasn't even had
a full week to gather beta user reports. Given that it's easy to
disable (just limiting the range on what is effectively a 3-way switch
to two positions), I don't understand why you're pushing at this point
for its removal. You could be encouraging testing instead, which I
believe is needed to know exactly what the right thing to do in 9.1 is.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us