Re: max_standby_delay considered harmful

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: max_standby_delay considered harmful
Date: 2010-05-05 00:48:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Releasing a hot standby which *only* works for users with an operational
> ntp implementation is highly unrealistic. Having built-in replication
> in PostgreSQL was supposed to give the *majority* of users a *simple*
> option for 2-server failover, not cater only to the high end. Every
> administrative requirement we add to HS/SR eliminates another set of
> potential users, as well as adding another set of potential failure
> conditions which need to be monitored.

To be completely practical, I'm saying that we should apply & test
Simon's latest patch moving the delay calculation to be application lag
instead of standby lag.

I'm also suggesting that we should have a standby lag option for 9.1 (as
well as, probably, a "wait forever" option ala Tom's suggestion).

--
-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.