Re: Select with string that has a lone hyphen yields nothing

From: Kenichiro Tanaka <ketanaka(at)ashisuto(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Select with string that has a lone hyphen yields nothing
Date: 2010-04-30 09:33:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi

The hyphen which written in 'Olympus E-PL1' is different from
the one which written in 'Camera - Black'.

em-dash
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2014/index.htm
en-dash
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2013/index.htm
figure-dash
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2012/index.htm

I have no idea to fix using PostgreSQL's function,because they don't equal.
I think you have to change the data or change the behavior of your
application .

Thank you.

> I have a product names table like this:
>
> datab=# select product_id, name from table.product_synonyms where name
> ilike '%%olympus e-pl1%%';
> product_id
> |
> name
> ------------
> +---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 8736 | Olympus E-PL1
> 8736 | Olympus E-PL1 Interchangeable Lens Type Live View
> Digital Camera – Black (Body Only) (Call for pre-order. Available on:
> 2010-04-09)
> 8736 | Olympus E-PL1 Interchangeable Lens Type Live View
> Digital Camera – Blue (Body Only)
> 8736 | Olympus E-PL1 Interchangeable Lens Type Live View
> Digital Camera w/ ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 (champagne/gold)
> (4 rows)
>
> Any select statement prior to the hyphen yields a result, but from the
> hyphen on yields nothing:
>
> datab=# select product_id, name from table.product_synonyms where name
> ilike '%%Olympus E-PL1 Interchangeable Lens Type Live View Digital
> Camera - Blue %%';
> product_id | name
> (0 rows)
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?