Re: failed assertion and panic in standby mode

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: failed assertion and panic in standby mode
Date: 2010-04-30 06:35:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jaime Casanova wrote:
> i was trying recent HS and get this when trying to start the standby,
> actually i was expecting a crash because i use full_page_writes=off
> and i guess it won't work.
> Maybe we could say full_page_writes=off and wal_level=hot_standby are
> conflicting and avoid such setup?

It's supposed to work.

> PANIC: btree_redo: unknown op code 208
> CONTEXT: xlog redo UNKNOWN

Hmm, I see a bug in btree_redo handling of XLOG_BTREE_REUSE_PAGE. If hot
standby is not enabled in the standby, it chokes on that record type.
It's missing from btree_desc too.

Fixed.

This demonstrates that there really has been little testing of warm
standby with hot standby disabled :-).

--
Heikki Linnakangas