Re: Storing many big files in database- should I do it?

From: Justin Graf <justin(at)magwerks(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, David Wall <d(dot)wall(at)computer(dot)org>, Postgres General Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Storing many big files in database- should I do it?
Date: 2010-04-29 19:33:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On 4/29/2010 3:18 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera<alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
>
> However, that toast limit is per-table, whereas the pg_largeobject limit
> is per-database. So for example if you have a partitioned table then
> the toast limit only applies per partition. With large objects you'd
> fall over at 4G objects (probably quite a bit less in practice) no
> matter what.
>
> regards, tom lane

has there been any thought of doing something similar to MS filestream ????
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc949109.aspx

it seems to overcome all the draw backs of storing files in the DB.

All legitimate Magwerks Corporation quotations are sent in a .PDF file attachment with a unique ID number generated by our proprietary quotation system. Quotations received via any other form of communication will not be honored.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including attachments, may contain legally privileged, confidential or other information proprietary to Magwerks Corporation and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it addresses. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any unauthorized viewing, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and destroy all occurrences of this e-mail immediately.
Thank you.