Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date: 2010-04-28 18:11:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> IOW I think that the requirement in pg_start_backup shouldn't be relaxed
> without some more thought/work.

Yeah, I was talking to Bruce about that this AM, and it seems like a
feature we *need* to have ... for 9.1.

I'm sufficiently concerned about the amount of flux HS/SR is in right
now that I'd like to declare it "good enough" and move towards release.
Otherwise we'll tinker with it forever and there will be no 9.0.

"Release early, release often" *is* the OSS mantra, after all. The
question now isn't "Is binary replication perfect" but "is it *good
enough* for some substantial portion of our users". And I think the
answer to the latter question is, at this point, yes.

--
-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.