VACUUM FULL vs backup/restore

From: David Wall <d(dot)wall(at)computer(dot)org>
To: Postgres General Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: VACUUM FULL vs backup/restore
Date: 2010-04-27 20:50:42
Lists: pgsql-general

We are copying a production database and then pairing it down
dramatically (perhaps removing 99% of records, most of which are large
objects).

It seems my options are 1) VACUUM FULL with a reindex_db; or 2) backup,
then restore.

Is there anything one does better than the other? Our impression is
that the backup and restore will run faster (perhaps 2 hours), whereas
we have a currently running VACUUM FULL that's been running for 4.5
hours already.

Anybody have any experience on this? Would a backup/restore essentially
create a minimally sized database with all fresh indexes?

Thanks,
David