Re: planet "top posters" section

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: planet "top posters" section
Date: 2010-04-20 00:04:19
Lists: pgsql-www

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I don't know, maybe it is just me but there are a half-dozen postgresql
> companies all prominent, do we really need to be slathering on the icing
> about it?

I pointed out the DB2 site because that's to me a clear example to me of
what going too far would look like. There's quite some distance between
there and the current PostgreSQL site. I don't think it's the case that
PostgreSQL is so overwhelmed by businesses that are prominent *outside*
the PostgreSQL community that everyone should toss any look of corporate
ties altogether. There are still many depressingly many business people
out there who view all open source databases as hobbyist toy projects.

>> To pick a more fair comparison site, http://planet.mysql.com/ has a
>> personal and team section that looks quite similar to today's redesign
>>

> And I don't agree that is a fair comparison because mysql is a company
> not a community.

The increasing viability of all the MySQL forks out there makes that
meme not so relevant anymore. Regardless, did you look at the site
recently? It's a completely relevant comparison point. The most active
thing there is Percona's MySQL Performance Blog, and they surely aren't
MySQL the company. Neither is the MySQL(at)Facebook team, one of the other
most active posters.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us