Re: SET search_path = value

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SET search_path = value
Date: 2010-04-19 21:55:08
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le 19/04/2010 04:43, Erwin Brandstetter a écrit :
> Hi developers!
>
> Just created a ticket concerning a minor error in the reverse engineered
> SQL code for roles
>
> Besides the example ...
> ALTER ROLE SET search_path = test, public;
> --> ALTER DATABASE test SET search_path='test, public'; -- quotes are
> wrong
> ... there are at least two more occurrances:
> ALTER FUNCTION ...
> ALTER DATABASE ...
>
> _If_ you wanted to quote the schema names, it would have to be quotes
> around _each_ schema in the list, like so:
> ALTER DATABASE test SET search_path = 'test', 'public';
> But that would lead to another pitfall. This does not work as intended:
> ALTER DATABASE test SET search_path = '"$user", public';
> So, best not to add single quotes at all:
> ALTER DATABASE test SET search_path ="$user", public;
>
> The official docs on the matter are also misleading, IMO.
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/runtime-config-client.html
> I've sent a comment on the website.

pgAdmin shouldn't use quotes on some parameters: search_path,
temp_tablespaces. Perhaps others. I don't find a way to pick them
automatically. For example, their vartype are "string". Which is quite
ambiguous with others "string" parameters like archive_command. Of
course, we can use a specific code for them. It would be really easy,
but I would prefer to find another way.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org