Re: PANIC: read of clog file 3165, offset 0 failed: Success

From: Lewis Kapell <lkapell(at)setonhome(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PANIC: read of clog file 3165, offset 0 failed: Success
Date: 2010-04-19 14:06:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am not a member of the Postgres team and so I don't have any special
knowledge, but I can tell you two things for sure:

1) Version 7.3.4 is not supported any more, see:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Release_Support_Policy

You should arrange to upgrade to a supported version as soon as
possible. Preferably to 8.4, but you would need to study the release
notes of each of the major releases in-between and see what
compatibility issues you would need to face. In particular, there was a
change in 8.3 regarding type-casting behavior that might require a
significant re-write of your applications.

2) The Postgres experts will need more information about your situation
in order to give you advice. For one thing, they will want to see the
contents of your $PGDATA/pg_clog directory. Issue the command "ls -l"
in that directory and capture the output.

Also, is it possible you are running out of disk space? Have there been
any other errors recently? Check your operating system logs.

Thank you,

Lewis Kapell
Computer Operations
Seton Home Study School