Re: Help with tracking!

From: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Đỗ Ngọc Trí Cường <seminoob(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help with tracking!
Date: 2010-04-19 07:41:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Craig Ringer wrote:
> Đỗ Ngọc Trí Cường wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I've a problem but I search all the help file and can't find the solution.
>>
>> I want to track all action of a specify role on all or one schema in
>> database.
>>
>> Can you help me?
>>

> You can use statement-level logging, though there are no facilities in
> statement-level logging to restrict what is logged to only one role's
> activity.
>
> You can use the usual audit triggers on database tables, which is what I
> would recommend. Audit triggers in PostgreSQL cannot track reads
> (SELECTs), only INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE and in 8.4 also TRUNCATE. They
> cannot track ALTER/RENAME/DROP table, changes to sequences, etc. It is
> trivial to write an audit trigger that only records anything when a user
> is a member of a particular role.

Yes tracking SELECTs needs would have to go with a log file, since also
a DO INSTEAD rule on SELECT has to be another SELECT command, and cannot
e.g. be a INSERT followed by a SELECT.

Something similar is mentioned in this thread:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2008-07/msg00144.php

regards,
Yeb Havinga