Re: extended operator classes vs. type interfaces

From: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: extended operator classes vs. type interfaces
Date: 2010-04-10 16:05:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jeff Davis wrote:
> To give some context, I started a thread a while ago:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-10/msg01403.php

Interesting, a join type for overlaps, which makes me think a bit of the
staircase join for pre-post coordinates. However, does a join operator
type need certain kinds of properties of the operator involved, e.g.
being commutative, transitive etc? Else the join reordering fails. The
latter fails for the overlap operator.

regards,
Yeb Havinga