Re: Alpha release this week?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Alpha release this week?
Date: 2010-04-05 20:08:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> I started with pgbench performance comparisons:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Pgbenchtesting

I'd already created
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Regression_Testing_with_pgbench for this
purpose, and it looks like you started where I ended that, more or less,
which is good because you didn't duplicate anything I'd already
written. I just recently finished a full exploration of how the
multi-threaded pgbench ends up working in practice, and will
update/merge those two as part of that once I get the full data
published where people can look at it. I've given up on expecting
ad-hoc pgbench testing done without an extremely clear methodology to
produce a lot of data, it's tough to get useful results out of that
without a clear plan to follow for finding useful data points.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us