Re: How to fast the REINDEX

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
Cc: raghavendra t <raagavendra(dot)rao(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to fast the REINDEX
Date: 2010-04-01 03:11:36
Lists: pgsql-performance

Jaime Casanova wrote:
>> Our table face lot of updates and deletes in a day, so we prefer reindex to
>> update the indexes as well overcome with a corrupted index.
>>

> do you have a corrupted index? if not, there is nothing to do...
> REINDEX is not a mantenance task on postgres

Actually, if your free_space_map (pre 8.4) isn't up to keeping track of
bloat, or autovac isn't running enough, you're likely to get bloat of
indexes as well as tables that may need VACUUM FULL + REINDEX to
properly clean up.

It's probably better to fix your fsm/autovac settings then CLUSTER the
table so it doesn't happen again, though.

--
Craig Ringer