Re: BUG #5395: UPDATE on shutdown overwrites table

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Lothar Bongartz <lotharbongartz(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5395: UPDATE on shutdown overwrites table
Date: 2010-03-31 02:28:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 30/03/2010 11:27 PM, Lothar Bongartz wrote:

> For this reason the database is stalling from time to time and I have to
> restart the server.

Are those stalls accompanied by any mention of checkpoints in the logs?

The default PostgreSQL configuration isn't tuned for larger workloads -
it's very minimalist. You probably need to increase your
checkpoint_segments . It may also be a good idea to look at shared_buffers .

Before just re-starting the server, you should look at `iostat',
`vmstat', `top', `iotop' or other suitable performance monitoring tools
and see if the server's actually DOING anything. You'll probably find
it's busy with disk I/O and not really stalled at all.

--
Craig Ringer