Re: Whence the Opterons?

From: "Anjan Dave" <adave(at)vantage(dot)com>
To: "Geoffrey" <esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net>, "Mischa Sandberg" <mischa(dot)sandberg(at)telus(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Whence the Opterons?
Date: 2005-05-09 15:05:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

You also want to consider any whitebox opteron system being on the
compatibility list of your storage vendor, as well as RedHat, etc. With
EMC you can file an RPQ via your sales contacts to get it approved,
though not sure how lengthy/painful that process might be, or if it's
gonna be worth it.

Read the article devoted to the v40z on anandtech.com.

I am also trying to get a quad-Opteron versus the latest quad-XEON from
Dell (6850), but it's hard to justify a difference between a 15K dell
versus a 30k v40z for a 5-8% performance gain (read the XEON Vs. Opteron
Database comparo on anandtech.com)...

Thanks,
Anjan