Re: what could cause inserts getting queued up and db locking??

From: "Brian Maguire" <bmaguire(at)vantage(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Subject: Re: what could cause inserts getting queued up and db locking??
Date: 2004-10-26 17:27:53
Lists: pgsql-general

One observation that we made was right when the statements pile up there
is a large increase in the number of disk reads. The entire issue lasts
approx. 20 secs and then everything recovers. There will be a backlog
of 300+ statements and then all a sudden it seems to get resolved.

We though there might be locking, but noticed that there were not any
queries in wait mode indicating that no statements were blocked by
another statement's lock.

Can anyone suggest what may be causing the pile up/locking like
occurrences?

Brian