Re: Renaming Postgres-2

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Koichi Suzuki <koichi(at)intellilink(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgresCluster ML <pgsql-cluster-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Renaming Postgres-2
Date: 2010-03-16 07:02:54
Lists: pgsql-cluster-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 3/10/10 6:39 PM, Koichi Suzuki wrote:
>
>> This is to announce that we have changed our project name from
>> Postgres-2 to Postgres-XC (Extensible Cluster) to resolve naming
>> conflict with Simon's project.
>>

> Simon's project?

postgres2.org and postgres-2.org are both domain redirects that lead to
2ndQuadrant. More of a branding domain land grab for names combining
Postgres+2ndQuadrant than an intentional attempt to squat on that as a
project name, as far as I know.

> Anyway, good on the name change. Nobody was sure what "Postgres-2"
> meant anyway.

Yeah, while it wasn't necessary for the reason stated, I think it's a
good change anyway. Postgres-XC is just a much better name all around
for this project. Postgres-2 sounded like a next generation fork
attempting to replace the main database, which is not the impression you
wanted to give.

I fixed http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Postgres-2 so that it redirects
over to the new name automatically, rather than having that manual
redirect page sitting in the middle. Got rid of this misplaced blame
targeting Simon by name there too--now it just says "the name was
changed due to concerns over it not being unique."

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us