Re: warn in plperl logs as... NOTICE??

From: Alexey Klyukin <alexk(at)waki(dot)ru>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: warn in plperl logs as... NOTICE??
Date: 2010-01-22 15:35:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jan 22, 2010, at 4:38 PM, Robert Haas wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Alexey Klyukin <alexk(at)waki(dot)ru> wrote:
>> I think elog(WARNING) is less surprising for the end-user, unless there's an objection strong enough to include it into the documentation :)
>
> I think the main possible objection would what Simon just wrote on the
> other thread - that it's been this way for a while, and while someone
> might think that a different decision about how to handle it would
> have been better, there may be people counting on the current behavior
> who will have to spend time and perhaps money making changes if we
> change it.

Well, then we have to choose between a fixed number of unhappy users in the past and potentially increasing number of unhappy users in the future (if we admit the fact that this behavior is illogical). IMO if something behaves counterintuitively to most users the behavior should be at least documented, if not fixed.

--
Alexey Klyukin http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc