Re: gothic_moth, codlin_moth failures on REL8_2_STABLE

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, postgresbuildfarm(at)Sun(dot)COM
Subject: Re: gothic_moth, codlin_moth failures on REL8_2_STABLE
Date: 2010-03-11 17:01:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dne 11.03.10 16:24, Greg Stark napsal(a):
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> My conclusion is that this is probably a compiler bug. Both buildfarm
>> animals appear to be using Sun Studio, although on different
>> architectures which weakens the compiler-bug theory a bit. Even though
>> we are not seeing the failure in later PG branches, it would probably be
>> worth looking into more closely, because if it's biting 8.2 it could
>> start biting newer code as well. But without access to a machine
>> showing the problem it is difficult to do much.
>

> Could be this:
>
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6750087
>
> It's fixed in patch 124861-11 which came out Feb 23, 2009. Is this
> patch missing on both gothic-moth and codlin-moth?

It seems as a our case. See compiler versions:

Ghost:
-bash-3.2$ cc -V
cc: Sun C 5.9 SunOS_sparc Patch 124867-09 2008/11/25

Codlin
-bash-4.0$ cc -V
cc: Sun C 5.9 SunOS_i386 Patch 124868-10 2009/04/30

I should apply patch on Ghost, but Codlin have to wait, because I don't
have a control on compiler version. I try to find update SS12 somewhere
on the disk/network.

The patch which you refer does not fix cc itself but some others
binaries/libs which cc uses.

I try to update Ghost and we will see what happen.

> I suppose it's possible to have a configure test to check for whether
> this patch is present but I'm not sure how much it's worthwhile given
> that it'll only help people who happen to recompile their 8.2 server
> after the next Postgres patch. And I'm not sure we can check for
> patches without assuming the CC is the OS-shipped cc. Does cc itself
> have an option to list which patches it has applied to it?

cc is not shipped with solaris you have to install it separately. And
bug appear only when you use high optimization (see my email). You can
see patch version when you run cc -V but you see only compiler version.

Zdenek