Re: linux standard layout

From: Rodger Donaldson <rodgerd(at)diaspora(dot)gen(dot)nz>
To: "Plugge, Joe R(dot)" <JRPlugge(at)west(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: linux standard layout
Date: 2010-03-09 08:33:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

Plugge, Joe R. wrote:
> It has been a while ago Scott, I don't remember exactly. If it currently is not an issue then I will not be so resistant to using packages/rpms for postgres installs. One other item, and maybe it is just that I have never done it ... how would one install a package/rpm and change page size, XML, or enable ssl connections? Just curious?

I've literally never run into this on any version of Linux I've used (RH
before they had EL and Fedora, RHEL, Fedora, Debian, Ubunt). Certainly
I'd be stunned if any of the enterprise/long term release oriented
distros did it (RHEL, CentOS, SLES, Debian, etc).

Most packagers enable everything and the kitchen sink. I don't have a
RHEL box handy, but as you can see from this Fedora 11 list:

postgresql.i586 : PostgreSQL client programs and libraries
postgresql-contrib.i586 : Contributed source and binaries distributed with
: PostgreSQL
postgresql-dbi-link.noarch : Partial implementation of the SQL/MED
portion of
: the SQL:2003 specification
postgresql-devel.i586 : PostgreSQL development header files and libraries
postgresql-docs.i586 : Extra documentation for PostgreSQL
postgresql-ip4r.i586 : IPv4 and IPv4 range index types for PostgreSQL
postgresql-jdbc.i586 : JDBC driver for PostgreSQL
postgresql-libs.i586 : The shared libraries required for any PostgreSQL
clients
postgresql-odbc.i586 : PostgreSQL ODBC driver
postgresql-odbcng.i586 : PostgreSQL ODBCng driver
postgresql-pgpool-II.i586 : Pgpool is a connection pooling/replication
server
: for PostgreSQL
postgresql-pgpool-II-devel.i586 : The development files for pgpool-II
postgresql-pgpool-ha.noarch : Pgpool-HA uses heartbeat to keep pgpool
from being
: a single point of failure
postgresql-pgpoolAdmin.noarch : PgpoolAdmin - web-based pgpool
administration
postgresql-plperl.i586 : The Perl procedural language for PostgreSQL
postgresql-plpython.i586 : The Python procedural language for PostgreSQL
postgresql-plruby.i586 : PostgreSQL Ruby Procedural Language
postgresql-plruby-doc.i586 : Documentation for plruby
postgresql-pltcl.i586 : The Tcl procedural language for PostgreSQL
postgresql-python.i586 : Development module for Python code to access a
: PostgreSQL DB
postgresql-server.i586 : The programs needed to create and run a PostgreSQL
: server
postgresql-table_log.i586 : Log data changes in a PostgreSQL table
postgresql-tcl.i586 : A Tcl client library for PostgreSQL
postgresql-test.i586 : The test suite distributed with PostgreSQL
postgresql_autodoc.noarch : PostgreSQL AutoDoc Utility

...what you get is pretty much everything, and the binaries are built
with pretty much every option (kerberos, openssl, languages) either on
or built into installable packages.

The other benefit is that I know the PostgreSQL support for everything
else on that Fedora system (PHP, Ruby, etc), will be at a matching
version and tested to work with the server install.

If Fedora have built with some options you don't like, my preference is
to download the SRPM, tinker with the spec file, and build a new set of
RPMs, which maximised the chances of everything just working.