Re: SQL compatibility reminder: MySQL vs PostgreSQL

From: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: francois(dot)perou(at)free(dot)fr
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL compatibility reminder: MySQL vs PostgreSQL
Date: 2010-03-06 20:48:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

François Pérou wrote:

> I will continue using PostgreSQL and MySQL user base will continue to
> grow and one day it will be 1 PostgreSQL user for 1.000 MySQL users.
>
> This is life. People have a deep psychological addiction to their
> believes and ideas. IMHO, PostgreSQL has to be more flexible (in
> psychological terms) to understand MySQL user needs and answer them,
> just to give them a choice to migrate to PostgreSQL.
>
> All your discussions are about technical things and you think I make fun
> of Drupal developers. I only tried to point out psychological believes,
> which we have to understand to answer their needs and grow PostgreSQL
> user base.

I think the Drupal developers are addressing the main thrust of your
concerns - one of the gentlemen I work with here at Catalyst (Josh
Waihi) has spent considerable time working on Postgresql issues for
Drupal 7. Last time I checked, Drupal 7 + Postgresql passes most of the
regression tests.

Maybe you could consider helping out making Drupal 7 + Postgresql pass
the remaining ones?

regards

Mark