Re: USE_LIBXSLT in MSVC builds

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, dpage <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: USE_LIBXSLT in MSVC builds
Date: 2010-03-03 12:18:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> 2010/3/3 Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>:
>
>> Tom Lane wrote:

>>> Curious indeed, because it passed yesterday, *after* I had made all
>>> those changes in contrib/xml2 itself. The only deltas since then are
>>> your MSVC script additions. Now presumably, the XSLT support was
>>> commented out in yesterday's run for lack of USE_LIBXSLT, and the "pass"
>>> was against the variant output file that allowed for that to fail.
>>> So I think you're right that there's something wrong with the link
>>> to libxslt, but how come no sign of trouble in the build log? Does
>>> Windows have an equivalent of "rpath" that maybe we're forgetting to
>>> add libxslt to?
>>>

>> There is something funny about the iconv setup (libxml requires iconv). My paths on red_bat are a bit different from baiji's so it might not expose the problem. I'm going to make the iconv setup work like the other libraries, and hope it fixes baiji's problem.
>>

> Yeah, there are some weird cross dependencies along that. The MSVC
> build system really expects you to have libxml+libxslt+iconv all
> installed to really get any of them to work. I originally had them all
> work the same, but that didn't work, so I just put that in place -
> blame being lazy for that. It may well be that it works now due to
> other changes around the build system, but originally that hack was
> required to make it build at all with XML. But it's good news if it's
> not needed anymore and they can all work the same :-)

It's not working on mastodon, and presumably will fail again on baiji.

I notice that mastodon does not appear to have the presumed location of
the iconv and xslt DLLs in the PATH it sets. That would be a plausible
explanation of the problem ;-) On red_bat these are all in the same bin
directory, but I suspect on baiji and mastodon they are not. I think
these might need to have c:\pgBuild\{libxslt,iconv}\bin added to the
PATH in the buildfarm.conf file, right after where
c:\pgBuild\libxml2\bin is added. (That could also explain why it is
failing at run time rather than at build time).

cheers

andrew