Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: david(at)lang(dot)hm, Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>, Pgsql performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics
Date: 2010-03-02 23:57:19
Lists: pgsql-performance

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> True, I just looked at the Hitachi 7200 RPM 2TB Ultrastar and it lists
> and average throughput of 134 Megabytes/second which is quite good.

Yeah, but have you tracked the reliability of any of the 2TB drives out
there right now? They're terrible. I wouldn't deploy anything more
than a 1TB drive right now in a server, everything with a higher
capacity is still on the "too new to be stable yet" side of the fence to me.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us