Re: Re: Hot Standby query cancellation and Streaming Replication integration

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Hot Standby query cancellation and Streaming Replication integration
Date: 2010-03-01 18:26:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> And I think we can measure bloat in a pgbench test, no? When I get a
> chance, I'll run one for a couple hours and see the difference that
> cleanup_age makes.

The test case I attached at the start of this thread runs just the
UPDATE to the tellers table. Running something similar that focuses
just on UPDATEs to the pgbench_accounts table, without the rest of the
steps done by the standard test, is the fastest route to bloat. The
standard test will do it too, just does a lot of extra stuff too that
doesn't impact results (SELECT, INSERT) so it wastes some resources
compared to a targeted bloater script.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us