Re: Linux start script updates

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Linux start script updates
Date: 2010-03-01 16:56:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think though that the answer to Peter's question is that "stop"
> has to be special cased to some extent, because it is not supposed
> to be an error to stop a service that's not running. If it's not
> even installed, then a fortiori it's not running, so the exit code
> *must* be 0 not 5 in that case.

Exactly. With Fedora respecting the standard in this regard, I'm
convinced we should, too. In reviewing things based on Peter's
question, I did start to have doubts about *not* special-casing
"status" -- it has its own set of values and 5 is not assigned, so
using it seems wrong. It seems like it should be 3 ("program is not
running"). Agreed?

-Kevin