Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete
Date: 2010-02-24 19:04:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/24/10 10:40 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> And, while it makes sense for smart shutdown to wait for
>> pg_stop_backup(), it does not make sense for fast shutdown to wait.
>
> Hang on, fast shutdown does *not* wait for backup to finish.

It did when I tried it. I'll test to see what combination of factors
produces that.

>> Aside from that, the main issue is not having shutdown wait for
>> pg_stop_backup; it's pg_stop_backup never completing. An issue, I'll
>> note, you're ignoring.
>
> Ahh, that's a detail I missed too.

Yeah, that's the important one. I went through the sequence:

1) Try to shut down.

2) be told to run pg_stop_backup()

3) run pg_stop_backup()

4) pg_stop_backup never completes.

Look at the original bug report on this thread; it has the details. I
think it's still the issue that if no logs are being written (database
is idle) pg_stop_backup does not complete, which I thought we fixed, but
maybe not?

--Josh Berkus