Re: Dell PERC H700/H800

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dell PERC H700/H800
Date: 2010-02-17 13:07:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 12:39 +0000, Matthew Wakeling wrote:
>> Just a heads up - apparently the more recent Dell RAID controllers will no
>> longer recognise hard discs that weren't sold through Dell.
>>
>> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/02/10/dell_perc_11th_gen_qualified_hdds_only/
>>
>> As one of the comments points out, that kind of makes them no longer SATA
>> or SAS compatible, and they shouldn't be allowed to use those acronyms any
>> more.
>
> That's interesting. I know that IBM at least on some of their models
> have done the same. Glad I use HP :)

all of the main vendors do that - IBM does and so does HP (unless you
count the toy boxes without a real raid controller). The later actually
goes so far and blacklists some of their own hdd firmware levels in more
recent controller versions which can cause quite some "surprising"
results during maintenance operations.
I find it quite strange that people seem to be surprised by Dell now
starting with that as well (I atually find it really surprising they
have not done that before).

Stefan