Re: Explain buffers display units.

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Explain buffers display units.
Date: 2010-02-16 00:37:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Stark wrote:
> We do *not* display raw block numbers anywhere else. Generally I think
> we should have a policy of outputing human-readable standard units of
> memory whenever displaying a memory quantity. Actually I thought we
> already had that policy, hence things like...

The first counter example I thought of is log_checkpoints which looks
like this:

LOG: checkpoint complete: wrote 133795 buffers (25.5%); 0 transaction
log file(s) added, 0 removed, 98 recycled; write=112.281 s, sync=108.809
s, total=221.166 s

> Probably the XML schema should include the units as an attribute for
> each tag so tools don't have to hard-code knowledge about what unit
> each tag is in.

I don't know if it's practical at this point, but it might be helpful
for the truly machine-targeted output formats to include specifically
BLCKSZ somewhere in their header--just so there's a universal way to
interpret the output even if the user tuned that.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us