Re: PostgreSQL on SMP Architectures

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <reydan(dot)cankur(at)gmail(dot)com>,<scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on SMP Architectures
Date: 2010-02-15 14:33:11
Lists: pgsql-performance

Reydan Cankur wrote:

> I want to spread out the workload on all cores. But also I want to
> set the core number; for example first I want to spread out the
> workload to 32 cores then 64 cores and see the scalability.

PostgreSQL itself won't use more cores than you have active
connections, so one way to deal with this might be to use one of the
available connection poolers, like pgpool or pgbouncer. That should
allow you to control the number of cores used pretty well, although
it won't support targeting particular connections to particular
cores (although this technique could be combined with other
suggestions). The OS might use another core or two to help with
network or disk I/O, but that should be minimal.

-Kevin