Re: Major features of 9.0?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Major features of 9.0?
Date: 2010-02-14 20:23:55
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

All,

First, Writeable CTE has just been sent back. Author fatigue, due to
all of the wonky internals issues required to make it work properly.

Second: let's divide this into 2 lists:

(1) Top 5 *external* features other than HS/SR

What I mean by this is features which will be important to people not
yet using Postgres, and easily explanable to the press. Features that
we can give a 2-4 word name to and people will understand what we mean.

(2) Top 5 "internal" features other than HS/SR

These are the niftiest features for people who *already use* PostgreSQL;
improvements to admin, new SQL permutations, etc.

Examples:

(1)

64-bit Windows Support
Built-in Event Queue (Listen/Notify)