Re: vacuumdb ERROR: out of memory

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: David Kerr <dmk(at)mr-paradox(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuumdb ERROR: out of memory
Date: 2010-02-09 04:49:30
Lists: pgsql-general

David Kerr wrote:
>>> maintenance_work_mem = 1GB
>>
>> So evidently, when it tries to actually allocate 1GB, it can't do it.
>> Ergo, that setting is too high for your machine.
>
> seems like i've got 2GB free.

is this a 64bit postgres build?

if not, you're probably running out of virtual address space in the 32
bit user space, which is limited to like 2gb.

the other possibility, and here I'm not sure, is that
maintenance_work_mem is coming out of shared memory, and if so, you've
exceeeded your SHMMAX kernel limit.