Updating Ubuntu package info

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Updating Ubuntu package info
Date: 2010-02-04 03:23:00
Lists: pgadmin-support

Problem #1: If you visit http://www.pgadmin.org/download/ , you'll
discover there's no link to any Ubuntu support listed there.

Problem #2: If you manage to find
http://www.pgadmin.org/download/ubuntu.php anyway, it's only got current
information up to Ubuntu Gusty, which is pretty old now. That part I
can write a document to include there if someone wants to update the text:

=====

For Ubuntu versions Dapper, Hardy, Intrepid, Jaunty, Koala, and Lynx,
Ubuntu packages are maintained by Gerfried Fuchs. The versions
available for each release are listed on the package's page at
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pgadmin3

In order to install one of these packages, do the following:

1) Launch System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager
2) Select Settings/Repositories
3) On the "Ubuntu Software" tab, make sure "Community-maintained Open
Source software (universe) is checked
4) Close that section and follow the directions to reload the available
packages
5) Now if you do a "Quick search" for pgadmin, you'll see the 3 packages
there. Choose to install the main pgadmin3 package and the other two
(that it depends on) will also be installed.

=====

Problem #3: Given the general popularity of Ubuntu and what I'm seeing
in the version history here, I think it would also be appropriate to
warn that versions of pgAdmin3 before the upcoming 1.12 do not support
connecting to PostgreSQL 9.0 databases (the '"column "datconfig" does
not exist' issue) on this page too. Even Ubuntu Lynx coming in March
seems likely to release with pgAdmin3 1.10. I think somebody (and I'm
getting that feeling it's going to be me) should figure out how to build
a backport of the pgadmin HEAD that goes at least a couple of versions
back to help out with this. I personally really need a PG9.0 compatible
Jaunty build for example.

Am I correct that nobody besides Gerfried is building these Ubuntu
packages right now, to provide a head start on things from where I'm
sitting at? I think I can fork his Launchpad project and then hack up a
backport of any required patches; just a matter of finding enough time
to do it, given that this is new territory for me--I only build RPMs
myself most days.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us