Re: mailing list archiver chewing patches

From: Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)toroid(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2010-02-01 13:36:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On 01/02/2010 10:26, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Does the MBOX importer support incremental loading? Because majordomo
> spits out MBOX files for us already.

Unfortunately the aoximport shell command doesn't support incremental

> One option could be to use SMTP with a subscription as the primary way
> (and we could set up a dedicated relaying from the mailserver for this
> of course, so it's not subject to graylisting or anything like that),
> and then daily or so load the MBOX files to cover anything that was
> lost?

I guess we could write a script that parses the mbox and adds whatever
is missing, as long as we keep it as a last resort if we can't make the
primary delivery a fail proof.

My main concern is that we'd need to overcomplicate the thread detection
algorithm so that it better deals with delayed messages: as it currently
works, the replies to a missing message get linked to the
"grand-parent". Injecting the missing message afterwards will put it at
the same level as its replies. If it happens only once in a while I
guess we can live with it, but definitely not if it happens tens of
times a day.

Cheers
--
Matteo Beccati