Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Write a WAL record whenever we perform an operation without

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Write a WAL record whenever we perform an operation without
Date: 2010-02-01 09:33:44
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> I'm seeing these messages in the standby server log:
>
> WARNING: unlogged operation performed, data may be missing
> HINT: This can happen if you temporarily disable archive_mode without
> taking a new base backup.
> CONTEXT: xlog redo unlogged operation: heap inserts on "pg_temp_65646"
>
> which connected with operations on temp tables, probably as a result of
> VACUUM FULL and CLUSTER.
>
> I don't think those messages should be there.

Hmm. The "unlogged" record is written here:

void
heap_sync(Relation rel)
{
char reason[NAMEDATALEN + 30];

/* temp tables never need fsync */
if (rel->rd_istemp)
return;

snprintf(reason, sizeof(reason), "heap inserts on \"%s\"",
RelationGetRelationName(rel));
XLogReportUnloggedStatement(reason);

So it clearly shouldn't be written for temp relations. Apparently the
rd_istemp flag not set correctly after CLUSTER / VACUUM FULL.

Can you reproduce that?

--
Heikki Linnakangas