Re: Changing the name

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Changing the name
Date: 2010-01-26 19:25:11
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 01/26/2010 11:15 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> What would be interesting would be to name part of the project
>> 'Postgres'. Right now the database superuser is 'postgres', and no one
>> seems to be confused by that. I think we have enough people who like
>> both names that we should be able to come up with a compromise that
>> everyone likes. I am not sure what parts of the project we could name
>> "Postgres" instead of "PostgreSQL".
>
> FWIW, I'm considering doing a lot of the shilling for 9.0 as "Postgres
> 9". It looks better on a t-shirt design. So I fully support exploiting
> the alias. I just think that a change of the official name of the
> project is too much trouble and does not provide clear marketing gains
> the way, say, doing more case studies would.
>
> Currently it appears that Greg is the only one who really cares about a
> name change; other people seem to be OK with the whole "official
> nickname" concept. So, time to drop this again I think. Greg can bring
> it up again for 10.0. ;-)

For the record I support the name change and care about it. The issue is
that the last we went around on this the people who supported the change
where shunted to another list. My guess is that this has more to do with
lack of response then lack of interest in change.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com