Re: Patch: libpq new connect function (PQconnectParams)

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: "Hackers (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch: libpq new connect function (PQconnectParams)
Date: 2010-01-25 23:04:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm reviewing the patch posted here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-01/msg01579.php
for this commitfest item:

Patch attached - a few minor changes:
-------------------------------------
1) Updated to apply cleanly against cvs tip
2) Improved comments
3) Moved much of what was in PQconnectStartParams() to a new
conninfo_array_parse() to be more consistent with existing code

Questions/comments:
-------------------
a) Do we want an analog to PQconninfoParse(), e.g.
PQconninfoParseParams()? If not, it isn't worth keeping use_defaults
as an argument to conninfo_array_parse().
b) I refrained from further consolidation even though there is room.
For example, I considered leaving only the real parsing code in
conninfo_parse(), and having it return keywords and values arrays.
If we did that, the rest of the code could be modified to accept
keywords and values instead of conninfo, and therefore shared. I was
concerned about the probably small performance hit to the existing
code path. Thoughts?
c) Obviously I liked the "two-arrays approach" better -- any objections
to that?

Thanks,

Joe

Attachment Content-Type Size
PQconnectParams-r2.patch text/x-patch 16.4 KB