Re: Review: listagg aggregate

From: Scott Bailey <artacus(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Review: listagg aggregate
Date: 2010-01-25 05:29:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I don't think. When we have function, with same parameters, same
>> behave like some Oracle function, then I am strongly prefer Oracle
>> name. I don't see any benefit from different name. It can only confuse
>> developers and add the trable to people who porting applications.
>
> Meh. If the name is terrible, we don't have to use it, and it's easy enough to create an alias in SQL for those who need it.

The corresponding function in Oracle is called wm_concat. In MySQL its
called group_concat. I don't believe DB2 or SQL Server have built in
equivalents. The Oracle name isn't really an option ("wm' stands for
workspace manager)

I think listagg or string_agg would be the most appropriate names. Oh
and before Oracle had wm_concat, Tom Kyte wrote a function called stragg
that was pretty popular.

Scott