Re: 8.5 vs. 9.0, Postgres vs. PostgreSQL

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Subject: Re: 8.5 vs. 9.0, Postgres vs. PostgreSQL
Date: 2010-01-24 19:45:10
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-hackers

Robert Treat wrote:
> On Saturday 23 January 2010 16:19:11 Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> Robert Treat wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not saying there aren't
>>> downsides, but having a name the community can unify on is a definite
>>> plus, and imho that name has to be Postgres.
>>>
>> Translation: "we'll only be unified if everyone agrees with me."
>>

> Wow Andrew, that's kind of a dick thing to say. This really isn't about
> agreeing with me except maybe that I've watched the issue for years and I
> think I have come to the most reasonable conclusion. If there is a more
> reasonable conclusion, I'm happy to switch to that, but of course we'd be back
> to people agreeing with me...

I'm sorry if I offended you, it seems to be my week for that. But that's
how what you said came across to me.

I don't actually have a horse in this race, I can live with either name.
But there was a discussion on it not long ago (in which I did not take
part) and a decision was made. I think bringing it up again now is
unfortunate, and a serious distraction. And clearly there are reasonable
counter-arguments to your position, as evidenced by this most recent
discussion.

I honestly do not believe that the future of the project depends on the
outcome of this issue to any significant extent.

cheers

andrew