Re: Data Set Growth causing 26+hour runtime, on what we believe to be very simple SQL

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tory M Blue <tmblue(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Data Set Growth causing 26+hour runtime, on what we believe to be very simple SQL
Date: 2010-01-22 03:46:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

Tory M Blue wrote:

> Any assistance would be appreciated, don't worry about slapping me
> around I need to figure this out. Otherwise I'm buying new hardware
> where it may not be required.

What is the reporting query that takes 26 hours? You didn't seem to
include it, or any query plan information for it (EXPLAIN or EXPLAIN
ANALYZE results).

What sort of activity is happening on the db concurrently with your
tests? What's your max connection limit?

What're your shared_buffers and effective_cache_size settings?

Could sorts be spilling to disk? Check work_mem size and enable logging
of tempfiles (see the manual).

Does an explicit ANALYZE of the problem table(s) help?

--
Craig Ringer