Re: commit fests (was Re: primary key error message)

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>,<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: commit fests (was Re: primary key error message)
Date: 2010-01-22 02:31:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Now your original posts back in December were okay, since you were
> just letting people know that you intended to work on this over a
> long period. But IIRC you've made more than one post with actual
> code in it that you seemed to be hoping people would review, and
> that I thought was a distraction at this late stage of the cycle.

Well, I've gotten to the first three milestones and have posted a
patch for each. The first two were before the start of the CF, but I
intentionally *didn't* add them to the CF and specifically asked
people *not* to let them divert efforts from the release, which has
apparently been respected. It wasn't a disingenuous request.
Robert, in particular, said before the CF that he would look at the
first patch when I had it ready, and has apparently not done so yet
because of other priorities, which is as I would wish.

I hit the third milestone after the start of the CF and posted it
"for the record". If people find that distracting, I'll hold off
until I get some indication that it won't be. I think it's a bit
unfair to single me out because of that one post, but I think I can
handle it. :-) I just want to make sure I'm not missing some gaff I
didn't realize I was making. Given how small a portion of each year
is actually officially open for feedback, I'd hate to think that
posting a couple WIP patches during that narrow window was considered
a breach of protocol.

-Kevin