Re: Missing docs for SR

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Missing docs for SR
Date: 2010-01-20 00:47:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 1/20/10 12:00 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 11:30 +1300, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>
>>> Also, given that recovery.conf has become a key part of our
>>> replication, shouldn't we supply a recovery.example file which people
>>> can rename and edit? Happy to write this too.
>>>
>> We ship it already:
>>
>> src/backend/access/transam/recovery.conf.sample
>>
>> and it has sections for HS and SR.
>>

> Well, it doesn't get created in PGDATA, and the docs don't mention the
> above location that I could find.
>
> Can we get initdb to copy it to whereever the config location is? That
> seems a lot more administrator-friendly than asking people to look in
> the source code.

Devrim gave you the wrong location. It is already installed where we put
other samples like postgresql.conf.sample, namely $SHAREDIR.

Nobody has to look in the source.

I don't think initdb should copy it by default, many users won't want
such an animal at all. Maybe an initdb switch would meet the case.

cheers

andrew