Re: Mammoth in Core?

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Mammoth in Core?
Date: 2010-01-19 20:55:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Greg Smith wrote:
> Takahiro Itagaki wrote:
>> The conclusion is splitting existing projects into some 'modules',
>> and getting the modules one by one into core. Voted features are here:
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/ClusterFeatures

That's certainly been one of the outcomes, however, there was a lot more
to it that just that. You find a bit more covered on
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGCon2009JapanClusterDeveloperMeeting
(and some of its links), but I understand it's hard to follow.

It's unfortunate that none of the Mammoth developers have been around.
It would have been interesting hearing their POV as well.

> There are a few things I noted that I didn't see in the voting order; I
> moved those all into another section. If anyone who was there can help
> prioritize those it would be helpful. Also, the voting included "XID
> set", but I didn't see any section that clearly matched that, so there
> may be a missing description section there too.

I don't remember, sorry.

Note that this is just a wish-list of things that the clustering hackers
possibly want in core. There are lots of little, but important details
that still need to be fleshed out for every single item.

> Stepping back for a second, there are three big picture things that I
> think need to be sorted out before it's possible for this to be useful
> guidance for something like suggesting how JD might best fit his Mammoth
> work into the broad work being done in this area, which I consider a
> subset of the larger important question "how can people help here?"

Well, that's not exactly the kind of question JD posed. He offered to
help with making Mammoth "community ready" - whatever that is. (And I
bet not even "the community" knows. You certainly won't get a single
answer).

However, I'm in a somewhat similar situation with Postgres-R. And since
the clustering meeting, I'm even more convinced that I need to break it
apart and split into single modules, which might be of use for others. I
didn't have no luck with the imessages patch, so far. But Kevin seems to
be interested in the testing framework I'm putting together [1] - and
he's not even using it for a clustering project. (And another module
that's core code is in the queue, so stay tuned).

So, that's what I'd recommend the Mammoth developers to do as well:
cherry-picking, sort of. Maybe that fulfills one or the other item on
our wish-list (in one way or another)...

Regards

Markus Wanner

[1]: dtester
http://www.bluegap.ch/projects/dtester