Re: Testing with concurrent sessions

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: <mtanhl(at)gmail(dot)com>,<david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Testing with concurrent sessions
Date: 2010-01-16 13:52:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Markus Wanner wrote:
Kevin Grittner wrote:

>> args=['psql', '-A', '--pset=pager=off',

> That looks like a correct fix for psql, yes.

> Other processes might be confused by (or at least act differently
> with) a PAGER env variable, so that still needs to be cleared in
> general.

I see your point. Even with a general solution, probably best to
leave the pset there for psql, though.

> [discussion of BaseTest vs SyncTest]
>
> Both have their own set of caveats, IMO.

I'll look those over. Any caveats beyond what you already mentioned
of which I should be particularly careful?

> Maybe we put up a git branch with the dtester patches included? So
> whenever I want to change the framework, I can check if and how it
> affects your tests.

I strongly encourage you to set that up on git.postgresql.org. If
for some reason that's not practicable, I can give you write
permissions to my repository there and set up a dtester branch for
this. I've barely scratched the surface on git in the last few
weeks, and already I'm a big fan. I was never convinced that
subversion was an improvement over cvs -- they each had advantages
over the other which seemed a wash for me -- but git takes everything
to a whole new level.

-Kevin