Re: Testing with concurrent sessions

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Markus Wanner" <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: "Michael Tan" <mtanhl(at)gmail(dot)com>,<david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Testing with concurrent sessions
Date: 2010-01-15 20:32:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch> wrote:

> So, the solution probably lies in adjusting the environment,
> before starting psql. (Maybe even dropping all existing
> environment variables for better control of the situation). Will
> add that for dtester 0.1.

Based on Andrew's suggestion, I changed line 276 to:

args=['psql', '-A', '--pset=pager=off',

I now get 5 of 6 tests succeeded (83.3%), processed in 18.5 seconds.

I'm not clear on what you want to see from the run or whether it
might be better sent off-list.

Also, in looking closer at how you have the tests defined, it
doesn't look to me like you're carefully interleaving specific
sequences of statements on specific connections so much as opening
multiple connections and then for each statement saying "run this on
all connections." That's certainly a valid test to include, but I
need the more controlled format, too. It does appear that that's
pretty straightforward to code; you just haven't chosen to do so in
the particular tests here, correct?

-Kevin