Re: improving log management

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: improving log management
Date: 2010-01-14 12:29:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane escreveu:
> (1) Windows compatibility?

Yes.

> (2) What happens if the command takes a significant amount of time to
> execute? We can't afford to have the log collector blocked.

You're right. We can't have that command in the same process because DBAs
could have high values for log_rotation_* parameters or resources could become
unavailable. :( One idea is to have another process (logger worker) to execute
it. Also we need to store the logfiles that were already rotated.

> (3) What do you intend those %p and %f symbols to signify?

%p and %f are relative log path and log filename, respectively.

--
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
http://www.timbira.com/