Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Get rid of the need for manual maintenance of the initial

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Get rid of the need for manual maintenance of the initial
Date: 2010-01-05 18:44:07
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>> Beats me. I don't have any other ideas at the moment.
>
> Stefan, could you try adding some debugging printouts to the
> Gen_fmgrtab.pl script to see how far it gets before blowing up?

did that and it seems the problem is in the loop that does:

foreach my $row (@$data)
{

# To construct fmgroids.h and fmgrtab.c, we need to inspect some
# of the individual data fields. Just splitting on whitespace
# won't work, because some quoted fields might contain internal
# whitespace. We handle this by folding them all to a simple
# "xxx". Fortunately, this script doesn't need to look at any
# fields that might need quoting, so this simple hack is
# sufficient.

}

it does after around 1050 iterations of that loop at it seems to leak
exactly 240kbyte per iteration which sums up to around 250MB in total
for the process...

Stefan