Re: PATCH: Add hstore_to_json()

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Add hstore_to_json()
Date: 2010-01-03 16:00:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hitoshi Harada wrote:
> 2010/1/3 Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>:
>
>> Hitoshi Harada wrote:
>>
>>> A question: Isn't there no possibility that we have our own
>>> implementation to handle JSON (i.e. no use of external libraries)?
>>>

>> Why should we reinvent a wheel someone else has already invented? This is
>> what shared libraries are all about.
>>
> Because what we need may be another wheel nobody has already invented.
> I don't deny to use one of external libraries but don't like to decide
> specification by their specifications.

OK, we really need to stop being abstract and say what operations we want.

I think the minimal functionality I'd want is:

convert record to JSON
convert JSON to record
extract a value, or set of values, from JSON
composition of JSON

Now all the libraries I have looked at (briefly) would require some code
to provide for those, possibly quite a bit of code, but that doesn't
mean we should just start from scratch and write our own JSON parser too.

cheers

andrew